Friday, January 7, 2011

Adding Solar

These next few photos are my first attempt at adding solar to my Aliner Popup camper.  Most of our camping was done dry with no hookups.  Most of our requirements were met with Propane on three other popup campers.  Check out my Gas Manifold post for more information on that topic.  With the addition of the Aliner, more power was required. Besides Lighting, we have added a water pump, a roof vent fan and a forced air furnace.  Our previous campers only needed power for lights and the car battery sufficed for that need.



 I first started with two 18 watt panels made by ICP and sold under the Coleman name.  I spent many hours browsing other campers methods of mounting solar panels.  Some opt for permanent mounting on the roof, others keep them portable.  With the Aliner, the steep pitch of the roof lends itself well for aiming toward the sun rather than flat mounting.  The problem with this plan is the Aliner needs to be in the sun and aimed in the general direction of the sun.  I liked the portable plan so you could keep them in the sun and easily adjust as the sun moves.
I finally sat in a chair and pondered the options when I came to realize unlike pop-ups that have an overhanging bunk over the tongue, the Aliner does not.  This sturdy frame of steel is perfect mounting spot for an array.








I spent some tome trying to figure out how to mount the vertical post to the crank post.  I thought about welding and using pipe clamps.  A friend that races IMCA modified cars suggested this elegant solution.  They are three aluminum Fuel filter clamps found on racing supply websites and on EBAY.


2 comments:

  1. Protection and storage idea: I added hinges to the panel framing (epoxy), so the top surfaces would be opposite, plus a thin rubber like shelf liner with holes in between when closed (protection during storage)... they align perfectly when open, then setup the frame you developed (great concept). Plus I couldn't find your nice clamps, so I just used a 1.5" post holder (aluminum, molded) for docks. Dave (theoleguy)... I'll take a picture for you... mostly for others. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like your slightly tapered cover w/hinged lid and toggle latches. I assume it encloses your propane tanks. I would like to know where you got it.

    ReplyDelete